Skip to main content
Before you Begin: Know the Assignment
- What length is your final paper supposed to be?
- How many resources are required?
- What types of resources are required?
- A legal periodical? A legal treatise? A case? A statute?
- When is the assignment due?
Before Searching: Develop a Strategy
- PRE-search several topics that you are interested in to see what kind of information is available. Will there be enough to support the assignment requirements?
- Is there a way to narrow or expand your topic using keywords? These will become your search terms.
- Example Thesis: "The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) needs to be updated to protect the privacy of customer data from collection agencies using the internet and mobile technologies."
- Example Keywords: "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act", FDCPA, Privacy, Collection Agencies, Technologies
- Brainstorm additional search terms by finding words with similar meanings.
- Example 1, Keyword "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" OR FDCPA
- Example 2, Keywords "Collection Agencies" OR "debt collection" OR "debt remediation" OR "debt recovery"
- Example 3, Keyword "Privacy" OR "consumer protection"
Explore | Discover | Create