Before you Begin: Know the Assignment
- What length is your final paper supposed to be?
- How many resources are required?
- What types of resources are required?
- When is the assignment due?
Before Searching: Develop a Strategy
- PRE-search several topics that you are interested in to see what kind of information is available. Will there be enough to support the assignment requirements?
- Is there a way to narrow or expand your topic using keywords? These will become your search terms.
- Example Thesis: "Environmental factors are a leading cause of famine in Ethiopia. "
- Example Keywords: Enviroment, Ethiopia, Famine, Cause
- Brainstorm additional search terms by finding words with similar meanings.
- Example 1, Keyword "Ethiopia": Eastern Africa (broader term), Tigray region (narrower term)
- Example 2, Keywords "Environmental factors": drought, crop production, rain
- Example 3, Keyword "Famine": hunger, starvation