Before you Begin: Know the Assignment
- What length is your final paper supposed to be?
- How many resources are required?
- What types of resources are required?
- When is the assignment due?
Before Searching: Develop a Strategy
- PRE-search several topics that you are interested in to see what kind of information is available. Will there be enough to support the assignment requirements?
- Is there a way to narrow or expand your topic using keywords? These will become your search terms.
- Example Thesis: "The use of sustainable building materials can affect the speed at which a fire spreads. "
- Example Keywords: Sustainable, Materials, Speed, Fire
- Brainstorm additional search terms by finding words with similar or related meanings.
- Example 1, Keyword "Sustainable": green, recycled, environmentally-friendly
- Example 2, Keyword "Materials": construction (wider term), lumber (narrower term)
- Example 3, Keyword "Speed": rate, pace, acceleration