Before you Begin: Know the Assignment
- What type of paper is this? Informative? Argumentative? Research? Creative?
- What question are you trying to answer?
- Is there more than one part to the assignment?
- What length is your final paper supposed to be?
- How many resources are required?
- What types of resources are required?
- When is the assignment due?
- What is your thesis? Unless you are writing a creative paper, you should have a thesis that you are trying to support.
- What are the keywordsin your thesis statement or in the question you are trying to answer? These will become your search terms.
- Example Thesis: "Teenagers from poor homes are more likely to go to jail than other teenagers."
- Example Keywords: Teenagers, Poor, Jail
- Brainstorm additional search terms by finding words with similar meanings.
- Example 1, Keyword "Teenagers": Youth, Teen, Underage, Adolescent
- Example 2, Keyword "Poor": Poverty, Impoverished, Underprivileged,
- Example 3, Keyword "Jail": Incarceration, Prison, Detention,