Skip to main content
Before you Begin: Know the Assignment
- What length is your final paper supposed to be?
- How many resources are required?
- What types of resources are required?
- When is the assignment due?
Before Searching: Develop a Strategy
- PRE-search several topics that you are interested in to see what kind of information is available. Will there be enough to support the assignment requirements?
- Company websites can be a good start for gathering background information & keywords, but keep in mind that they are usually there to market their services.
- Is there a way to narrow or expand your topic using keywords? These will become your search terms.
- Example Thesis: "Soil with high acidity levels can stunt plant growth. "
- Example Keywords: Soil, Acidity, Plant, Growth
- Brainstorm additional search terms by finding words with similar meanings.
- Example 1, Keyword "Soil": dirt, earth, ground
- Example 2, Keywords "Plant": organism (wider term), vegetable (narrower term)
Explore | Discover | Create